I absolutely love coconut shrimp from Chinese buffets! This recipe is very similar to the one served at my favorite restaurant.
1 bag (12 oz.) small frozen shrimp, thawed
1 C. Cornstarch
Salt and black pepper to season cornstarch
Vegetable oil for frying
1/2 C. Coconut milk
1/2 C. Condensed milk
3 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
Green onions (optional)
1. Heat oil to 350 in a skillet or pan. While oil is heating up, put cornstarch in a bowl and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
2. Dip shrimp into cornstarch mixture and fry until light golden brown and shrimp appears pink under the breading (between 3-5 minutes depending on shrimp size). Drain on a paper towel until ready to use.
3. Combine the mayonnaise, coconut milk & condensed milk in a sauce pan. Heat until barely boiling and continuously stir with a whisk until sauce begins to thicken.
4. Toss shrimp into coconut mixture and bring just to a boil, then turn off the skillet.
5. Top with sliced green onions if desired.
I like to serve mine over fried rice (homemade or store bought… depends on how much time I have & both taste great!)